Thursday, November 2, 2017

Movember Day 2 - Brush Off The Rush


One of the most common reasons people skip breakfast is lack of time.  Even though I tell people that there is always time for a healthy breakfast, sometimes my kids are late for the bus, I have to go to a meeting, and am nearing the status of "neighbor who has had his Halloween decorations up too long."  (This is a specific example.) 

So what can you do when  you are in a big hurry and don't have time for breakfast?  Enter the 10 Second Snack Bag. 


When I first started my Plant Strong Journey, I found that when I skipped meals, it was harder and harder to stick to the plan, so this bag has been a lifesaver (literally.)  You can make it in 10 seconds (maybe 15-20 if its your first time).  It's healthy, satisfying, and nutrient rich. 

Ingredient 1:  Ziploc Bag (or other bag of choice).  Why is this the most important?  Without it, everything just drops on the ground. 

Ingredient 2:  Wheat Thins (or whole grain cracker of choice.)  Dr. Michael Greger, in How Not To Die, recommends looking at the fiber and making sure that if you multiply the fiber by 5, the number you get is higher than the total carb count.  Wheat Thins don't exactly fit the bill, but I like them. 

Ingredient 3:  Handful of nuts.  Self explanatory.  Walnuts, cashews, or other nut of your choice.  Brazil nuts are fun sometimes to shake things up. 

Ingredient 4:  Fruit.  Out of fruit?  I use raisins.  Every so often, especially toward the end of the week, those blueberries I bought are less than appetizing.  Raisins have saved me on several occasions.  Fresh fruit is better, but raisins are better than nothing.  For variety, I have also used acai berries and cranberries.  Good old fashioned raisins are still my favorite. 

This quick vegan snack should eliminate the need for you to skip a meal.  Its also great on the go, or if you are hungry between meals. 


Catch Up On Movember!!!