Thursday, July 6, 2017

Vegan 30 - Start Here

If you have not read the background page, I think there is tremendous value in understanding the basics of why I wrote this blog.  It's a quick paragraph that you can read here

BUT, if you want to get started right now, here are a few essential things you need to do before you even head to the store.  These are the core foundation steps I took to succeed with a plant based lifestyle.

STEP 1 - DO NOT use the word "Vegan."  The connotations with being vegan relate to giving up things.  "Plant Based Eating" is more reflective of what we are doing.  Its not that we are giving up any foods.  We are adopting a way of eating that focuses more on things that grow from the ground.  My favorite term, which I believe was coined by Rip Esselstyn, was "Plant Strong."  I just liked  it better than "Vegan."  When I think of Vegans, I think of frail people for some reason, when, in fact, they are some of the healthiest people on the planet.

STEP 2 - Download Dr. Greger's Daily Dozen App.  My decision to go plant based was largely based on information in Dr. Greger's book "How Not To Die."  If you decide to read it, which I HIGHLY recommend, download the audio book.  It is easier to get through.  The daily dozen app gives you the 12 foods you should base your new lifestyle on, and will make grocery shopping easier.

STEP 3 - Think of it as an experiment.  This was one of the most useful tips I heard.  Instead of saying that you are going vegan forever, try experimenting with a Plant Strong Diet for 30 days.  My first stint into plant based eating was a 1 week experiment that I did with my wife.  That week lead to 30 days, plus, even though my wife still eats some meat, she adopted a healthier eating profile AND got a good understanding of what I was trying to do.  Bring a friend on the journey with you.

STEP 4 - Be ready for big changes and to feel a whole new level of healthy.

These steps may sound basic, but I really feel that they laid the foundation for what has become one of the best decisions I have made.  They also made it incredibly easy to stick to.

Catch Up On Movember!!!